The ship arrived in San Diego the evening of 16 October 1996. The ship stopped in Los Angeles for refueling before San Diego. The ODP crew arrived the next morning, boarded the ship, and crossed over with the offgoing crew. A "Stuck Pipe School" was held in San Diego before the port call for some of the ODL/SEDCO and ODL personnel. San Diego was a very busy port call. The offgoing cores, air freight, and surface freight were unloaded before more than 18 truckloads of supplies, casing, Anadrill equipment, sepiolite, cement, and barite could be loaded onto the ship. The JANUS Steering Committee met with Tracor during the port call to discuss the progress of the JANUS database. The pacing item for the port call was the installation of the new radar system on the bridge to replace the unit damaged during Leg 163. Chemical waste was unloaded to a UCSD hazardous waste disposal group. The Pelagos navigation program, WinFrog, was upgraded. The new version is 32 bit but requires a dongle on the master computer to work.

There were many groups from high schools and universities throughout San Diego that received tours of the ship. ODP and BRG borrowed a UNOLS fleet Inmarsat B, high-speed marine communication system that was installed and will be tested to look at the feasibility of purchasing one in the future. These can send digital data faster and cheaper. We refilled our Liquid nitrogen dewars in anticipation of clathrate recovery during the leg. A new air plenum was built, which will raise the air intake for the lab stack and quarters above the Bridge deck in a move to reduce obnoxious fumes from H2S or painting and increase air circulation. There was a GFE property Inventory of the ship during the port call. The ship departed from San Diego about 1900 Tuesday, 22 October 1996


The ship sailed 22 October for an eight day transit to the first site off the Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica. Off the coast of Mexico, one of the crewmen developed health problems and was evacuated onto a launch from Mazatlan.

The ship arrived at the first Site 1030 (CR-1) on 1 November 1996. The ship drilled 17 holes at five sites. On 10 November the name of the ship was officially changed to the D/V JOIDES Resolution. Letters were changed on the bow and stern and the life rings and survival suits. The hold overhead crane was removed during the leg to create more room to store supplies and make it easier to work in the storage spaces. At the end of the cruise, there was a two-day transit to Panama.

UnderWay Activities

Navigation, bathymetry, and seismic data were collected during Leg 170. The site locations were well surveyed with 3D geophysics from previous expeditions. All beacons were dropped on predetermined coordinates. A short seismic survey was done during the approach to the first site. Hole positions were determined by averaging GPS fixes taken at one-minute intervals over a period of many hours for each hole. Because the sites were so close together, the ship was moved in DP mode from site-to-site during the entire leg.

To 170 Laboratory Activities

To 170 Table of Contents

Publications Homepage

ODP Homepage