Position: 20°47.57'S, 152°16.51'E
Water Depth: 320 m
Sediment Thickness: 445 m
Target Depth: 454 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 550 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Intersection of regional Line MAR-07 (shotpoint 223) with Line MAR-44 (shotpoint 3584); crossing Line: MAR-37 at shotpoints 887 and 630, CDPs 1782 and 1268
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-03A are the following.
1. Determine the age and and describe the facies of Megasequences B-D.
2. Determine the age of the initial marine transgression over basement.
3. Determine the age and describe the facies of lowstand deposits.
4. Determine the age and nature of the basement.
5. Measure fluid-flow processes within the MP2 platform and adjacent sediments.
6. Determine the lithologic signature of basinward unconformities.
7. Calibrate the seismic sequence stratigraphies.
Drilling Program: Double APC/XCB to refusal, XCB or RCB (~1 core) into basement
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 180 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying ~265 m of periplatform ooze, wackestones with some siltstones and mudstones; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-05A | Table of Contents