Position: 20°03.40'S, 151°45.77'E
Water Depth: 360 m
Sediment Thickness: 500 m
Target Depth: ~500 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 650 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-20, shotpoint 7670, CDP 15348
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-11A are the following.
1. Determine the age of the MP2 platform drowning phase.
2. Determine the age and duration of regional unconformities.
3. Determine the total thickness of MP2.
4. Determine the age of the initial marine transgression over basement.
5. Determine the age and nature of the basement.
6. Measure and describe fluid flow within the MP2 platform.
7. Describe the MP2 platform carbonates.
8. Calibrate the seismic sequence stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Single APC/XCB to refusal, XCB or RCB (~1 core into basement)
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 49 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying ~442 m of periplatform ooze and dolomitized reefal carbonates; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-12A | Table of Contents