SITE SUMMARIESSite: NU-1A
Position: 22°58.41´N, 155°39.26´W
Water Depth: 4250 m
Sediment Thickness: ~250 m
Target Drilling Depth: 100 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: ~200 m (approval pending)
Seismic Coverage: Seismic reflection line 12 from the 1988 Thomas Washington cruise; Swath bathymetry from 1998/1999. See Figure 17 for the seismic line and trackline.
Objectives: The objectives of Site NU-1A if time permits site are to
1. Recover a complete section of the distal Nuuanu Landslide deposit;
2. Resolve whether the Nuuanu Landslide occurred as a single event or multiple collapses;
3. Determine the timing of the landslide;
4. Estimate the volume of the landslide;
5. Study the deposition history of the landslide; and
6. Gain insight into potential hazards related to giant landslides on the flanks of ocean islands.
Drilling Program: J APC/XCB to 100 mbsf in Hole A and to 50 mbsf in Hole B.
Logging and Downhole: No logging or downhole measurements planned.
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Sediment
Scientific Participants | Table of Contents