Position: 20°14.53'S, 151°47.54'E
Water Depth: 342 m
Sediment Thickness: 474 m
Target Depth: 483 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 600 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-13, shotpoint 4751; crossing Line MAR-29, CDPs 2315 and 4486
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-01A are the following.
1. Determine the age of the MP2 platform drowning phase.
2. Determine the age and duration of regional unconformities.
3. Determine the total thickness of MP2.
4. Determine the age of the initial marine transgression over basement.
5. Determine the age and nature of the basement.
6. Measure and describe fluid flow within the MP2 platform.
7. Describe the MP2 platform carbonates.
8. Calibrate the seismic sequence stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Double APC/XCB to refusal (3-4 cores), RCB (~1 core into basement); ADCB in selected intervals
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: 33 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying dolomitized reefal carbonates; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-02A | Table of Contents