Position: 20°14.10'S, 151°59.03'E
Water Depth: 368 m
Sediment Thickness: 379 m
Target Depth: 388 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 500 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-13; crossing Line MAR-23, CDPs 720 and 2180
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-02A are the following.
1. Determine the age and describe the facies of Megasequences B-D, particularly the prograding, proximal slope sediments from MP2.
2. Determine the age and duration of unconformities that can be carried into the platform.
3. Determine the age of initial marine transgression over basement.
5. Determine the age and nature of the basement.
6. Measure and describe fluid flow and diagenetic processes within the MP platform and adjacent sediments.
7. Calibrate the seismic sequence stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Double APC/XCB to refusal, XCB or RCB (~1 core into basement)
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 119 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying ~260 m of periplatform ooze, wackestones with some mudstones, siltstones, and turbidites; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-03A | Table of Contents