Position: 21°00.38'S, 152°51.40'E
Water Depth: 314 m
Sediment Thickness: ~561 m
Target Depth: ~570 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 670 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Intersection of Lines MAR-07, shotpoint 2801, CDP 5610, and MAR-70, shotpoint 170, CDP 348
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-06A are the following.
1. Determine the Initiation and facies development of the MP3 platform.
2. Determine the age and paleowater depth of the initial growth phase of MP3.
3. Describe the MP3 platform carbonates
4. Determine the age and duration of unconformities separating each platform phase.
5. Determine the age and nature of the condensed section equivalent to MP2.
6. Measure the fluid flow processes within the MP3 platform.
7. Calibrate the seismic stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: RCB (~1 core into basement), ADCB an interval of ~300 m.
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 501 m of dolomitized framestone, packstone, and wackestone with a thin cover of periplatform ooze; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-08A | Table of Contents