Position: 21°04.60'S, 153°03.98'E
Water Depth: 358 m
Sediment Thickness: 513 m
Target Depth: 522 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 650 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-07 shotpoint 3721; crossing Line MAR-63 at shotpoints 903 and 644, CDPs 1814 and 1296
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-08A are the following.
1. Determine the age and describe the facies of Megasequences A-D.
2. Determine the age and paleowater depth of the initial phase of MP3.
3. Determine the duration of the unconformities separating each platform phase.
4. Determine the nature of the basement.
5. Measure the fluid flow processes within the MP3 platform and adjacent sediments.
6. Calibrate the seismic stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Double APC/XCB to refusal, XCB or RCB (~1 core into basement)
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 69 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying ~444 m of periplatform ooze, wackestones with some siltstones, mudstones, and turbidites; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-09A | Table of Contents