Figure 14. Track line for leg 194 seismic data.
Figure 27. Detailed high-resolution northwest-southeast seismic section used to locate Site CS-09A.
Figure 28. Detailed high-resolution northeast-southwest seismic section used to locate Site CS-09A.
Position: 20°54.66'S, 152°35.05'E
Water Depth: 342 m
Sediment Thickness: 477 m
Target Depth: 486 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 600 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-07 shotpoint 1601; crossing Line MAR-45 at shotpoints 903 and 646, CDPs 1814 and 1300
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-09A are the following.
1. Determine the age and facies description of Megasequences B-D, particularly the initiation of the
2. Determine the age and duration of the unconformities separating each platform phase.
3. Determine the paleowater depth of the initial growth phase of MP3.
4. Determine the age and nature of the condensed section equivalent to MP2 and the basement.
5. Measure fluid flow processes within the Marion Plateau.
6. Determine the nature of the mounds imaged in the seismic data.
7. Calibrate the seismic sequence stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Double APC/XCB to refusal, XCB or RCB (~1 core into basement)
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 181 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying ~296 m of periplatform ooze, wackestones with some siltstones, mudstones and turbidites; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-10A | Table of Contents