Position: 20°34.53'S, 152°24.55'E
Water Depth: 369 m
Sediment Thickness: 526 m
Target Depth: 535 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 650 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-20 shotpoint 4126, CDP 8260
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-13A are the following.
1. Determine the age and and describe the facies of Megasequences B-D.
2. Determine the age of the initial marine transgression over basement.
3. Determine the age and describe the facies of lowstand deposits.
4. Determine the age and nature of the basement.
5. Measure fluid-flow processes within the MP2 platform and adjacent sediments.
6. Determine the lithologic signature of basinward unconformities.
7. Calibrate the seismic sequence stratigraphies.
Drilling Program: Double APC/XCB (~1 core into basement)
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 124 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying ~326 m of periplatform ooze, wackestones with some siltstones, mudstones, and turbidites; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-14A | Table of Contents