Position: 20°48.89'S, 152°42.58'E
Water Depth: 370 m
Sediment Thickness: 508 m
Target Depth: 517 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 650 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-20, CDP 4980
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-14A are the following.
1. Determine the age and facies description of Megasequences B-D, particularly the initiation of the
2. Determine the age and duration of the unconformities separating each platform phase.
3. Determine the paleowater depth of the initial growth phase of MP3.
4. Determine the age and nature of the condensed section equivalent to MP2 and the basement.
5. Measure fluid flow processes within the Marion Plateau.
6. Determine the nature of the mounds imaged in the seismic data.
7. Calibrate the seismic sequence stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Double APC/XCB (~1 core into basement)
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 184 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying ~324 m of periplatform ooze, wackestones with some siltstones, mudstones, and turbidites; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-15A | Table of Contents