Position: 20°58.90'S, 152°55.21'E
Water Depth: 312 m
Sediment Thickness: 561 m
Target Depth: 571 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 600 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Intersection of regional Lines MAR-04 (shotpoint 3945) and MAR-15 (shotpoint 3558); Regional Line MAR-20, CDP 2690
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-16A are the following.
1. Determine the Initiation and facies development of the MP3 platform.
2. Determine the age and paleowater depth of the initial growth phase of MP3.
3. Describe the MP3 platform carbonates
4. Determine the age and duration of unconformities separating each platform phase.
5. Determine the age and nature of the condensed section equivalent to MP2.
6. Measure the fluid flow processes within the MP3 platform.
7. Calibrate the seismic stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Single XCB to refusal, RCB (~1 core into basement), ADCB may be used for selected intervals
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: Approximately 561 m of hemipelagic ooze, dolomitized framestone, packstone, wackestone with a think cover of periplatform ooze; underlying basement composed of Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Site CS-17A | Table of Contents