Position: 21°05.09'S, 153°03.05'E
Water Depth: 336 m
Sediment Thickness: 519 m
Target Depth: 528 mbsf
Approved Maximum Penetration: 650 mbsf
Seismic Coverage: Regional Line MAR-20, CDP 1270; Line MAR-63
Objectives: The objectives of Site CS-17A are the following.
1. Determine the age and describe the facies of Megasequences A-D.
2. Determine the age and paleowater depth of the initial phase of MP3.
3. Determine the duration of the unconformities separating each platform phase.
4. Determine the nature of the basement.
5. Measure the fluid flow processes within the MP3 platform and adjacent sediments.
6. Calibrate the seismic stratigraphy.
Drilling Program: Double APC and XCB (~1 core into basement)
Logging and Downhole Operations: Triple-combo, sonic-FMS, WST, GHMT (if available)
Nature of Rock Anticipated: 50 m of hemipelagic ooze overlying 469 m of periplatform ooze,
wackestones with some siltstones, mudstones, and turbidites; underlying basement composed of
Paleozoic quartz-feldspar mafic metasediment
Scientific Participants | Table of Contents